1.14.2008

Wow - What a Journey! Part I

Okay, I need to apologize. After we disembarked from the Luang Say Cruise Vessel from Luang Prabang on our two-day cruise on the Mekong River, things got very busy and exciting and our amazing family journey seemed to go by with a snap! So I apologize for not updating sooner. What I decided to do now that we are back home, is share with you notes I took along the way in my journal. I made the pictures into a slideshow on the top right. It was a spectacular trip!

Let's begin where we left off, with the Mekong River. Experiencing Mekong River life, including stops in local minority villages is fantastic. The Luang Say Cruise is unbeatable – the bonus is the great scenery and the group dynamic among fellow travelers.

In contrast to the 5-Star luxury resorts we normally use in Southeast Asia, my seven-year old daughter Zennia considers the tranquil Luang Say Cruise down the Mekong River as “roughing-it.” The 2 day/1 night journey down the Mekong River from Luang Prabang to Huai Say Laos, across the border from Thailand, is a great way to wind down and simply enjoy the Mekong River culture and scenery.

The Luang Say river barges have comfortable open-air seating for 40 passengers, plying the Mekong for seven hours each day. We overnighted literally in the middle of nowhere, on the banks of the Mekong at the Luang Say Lodge. Although certainly not luxury, the lodge has clean, comfortable villas overlooking the Mekong and a friendly, Laotian staff that earnestly cared for our needs. This is a rustic environment in a good way. Based on the clean, pristine air and remote location, I feel we had the best sleep of our entire journey here!

No comments: